Just because Sybil and I are out frolicking in the South Pacific, couldn't leave you guys hanging. So while I'm gone let's do what the syndicated radio shows do. Yeah, a little "best of ..."
I'll post some of my favorite stories from the past and before you know it I'll be back live and in living color with tales from abroad.
Thanks again for your patronage, your patience and your understanding of my honeymoon sabbatical.
By Richie Whitt
Fort Worth Star-Telegram
February 13, 2000
I'll post some of my favorite stories from the past and before you know it I'll be back live and in living color with tales from abroad.
Thanks again for your patronage, your patience and your understanding of my honeymoon sabbatical.
HAVING A BALL
Mark Cuban has enough dollars to
afford the world's largest
living room. Even more valuable, he has enough sense to know
how to live in
it.
One of the
countless "oh-my-gosh!" gaudy rooms in his $16 million,
24,000-square-foot mansion, the formal room is as big as a
high school gym.
It has an intricately designed marble floor, ornate wood
columns stretching
to a 20-foot ceiling, a fireplace big enough to hold a
Hyundai and two
blinding crystal chandeliers.
But nothing says
more about the new owner of the Mavericks than the only
furniture in the room: a $1.99 plastic yellow Wiffle-ball
bat.
"This is home
plate," Cuban exclaimed, pointing to the corner, "and
anything off the chandelier is an automatic homer."
Ricardo Montalban
and Tatoo must share one of the five upstairs bedrooms
because Cuban's life is pure fantasy.
"He's a
walking shot of adrenaline," Mavericks coach Don Nelson said.
"He's as alive as anyone I know. His enthusiasm is contagious;
you can see
it in the players and feel it in the arena."
When he's not
ringing in the year 2000 playing Wiffle ball or
multiplying his Internet fortune, the 41-year-old
billionaire co-founder of
Broadcast.com is attempting a trick more difficult than
pulling a rabbit out
of his hat or pulling video clips out of cyberspace -
pulling the Mavericks
out of the ditch.
"He knows it's
a challenge, but he's not in this for anything less than a
championship," said Cuban's lawyer, Steven Stodghill. "He'll
treat the team
like he does his company. His only focus will be the
bottom-line success on
the court."
(continued from page 1)
A combination of
John Stockton's ordinary looks, Doogie Howser's
premature genius and Richie Rich's obscene wealth, Cuban has
transformed
himself from a high-school dropout with arthritic hips into
one of the most
powerful men on the Internet and one of the most fascinating
personalities
in the NBA.
Before even
officially being approved by his peers as Mavericks owner,
Cuban already has stiffed Scottie Pippen, humbled Michael
Jordan, signed
Dennis Rodman, bested Bill Gates, challenged Jerry Jones,
fired Kevin
McCarthy, targeted Ted Turner, lambasted Donald Trump,
attracted Michael
Keaton and breathed life into a stale Reunion Arena and a
bewildered
Mavericks fan base by delivering what's been missing for the
better part of
10 years: hope.
"We needed a
breath of fresh air, and Cuban came in and opened all the
windows," Mavericks assistant coach Donnie Nelson said.
"He wants to win and
win now, and you can feel that he won't sit around twiddling
his thumbs to
get what he wants."
Since Cuban's
takeover was announced Jan. 3, actual attendance has
increased almost 1,000 per game, the team has gone 12-6, and
fans in the
Mavs Club have skyrocketed from six the game before the
announcement to more
than 1,200 for Wednesday's game against Seattle .
Where once there
were Reunion Rowdies, there are now Cuban Crazies -
shirtless fans with "WE LOVE CUBAN!" painted
across their chests.
But not everyone is
infatuated with Cuban's cavalier actions, blunt
commentary and cozy catering to players. His brash entrance
into the league
has been denounced by national media as one big
public-relations circus. And
initially scheduled to be granted formal approval of
ownership by his 28
peers during this All-Star Weekend, Cuban will have to wait
until at least
March 1 while squeamish owners - some of whom view him with
similar disdain
as the Tom Hanks character in Big - deal with raised
eyebrows and red flags.
"I'll always
play within the rules," said Cuban, whom some owners see as
a potential threat to leave the NBA should
professional-wrestling boss Vince
McMahon conjure up a future XNBA. "But as long as he
can help us win, I
don't care if a player got into some trouble five years ago
or that he has
every orifice pierced."
Since MarkCuban.com
is under construction, consider this his temporary
black-and-white website. To take a voyeuristic virtual tour
of Cuban's
world, just point and click on the man who has built a
better mouse, and now
intends to build a better Mavs.
(continued from page 2)
Cuban was born to
be a blue-collar worker in Pittsburgh .
But with a
shove from his father and a little ingenuity, he managed to
grow up using
his brain instead of his body. Cuban, the oldest of three
sons of Russian
Jewish immigrants Norton and Shirley, loved watching the
Pittsburgh Steelers
win and hated seeing his father work long, hard hours in the
family's
Regency Products upholstery shop.
His father, who lost
an eye in a workplace accident, taught Cuban early
the difference between wants and needs.
"He wanted
bigger and better things for us," Cuban said. "He wanted us
to use our minds instead of being bent over all day pulling
seats out of
cars."
By high school,
Cuban was an admitted geek. He wore "funky" glasses and
his bottom teeth, now capped, were an embarrassing shiny
silver.
"I was voted
most likely to do nothing," he joked. "I didn't kiss a girl
until I was 16. I was just a short, dorky kid who couldn't
get a date."
Cuban was obsessed
with college before even girls. Anxious to jump-start
his money-making potential, he stopped going to high school
classes and
discreetly enrolled at the University of Pittsburgh .
Slipping through the
cracks by "acting like I knew what I was doing,"
Cuban even joined a
fraternity and took enough courses so that when he went back
for his
high-school graduation, he was a college sophomore.
After transferring
to Indiana 's
business school - "because it was the
cheapest" - Cuban began inventing ways to make money
and friends. He made
$1,100 from a chain letter, won a scholarship for which he
unethically
applied, organized and started an infamous cafeteria food
fight with a drop
of his napkin, and opened a bar - Motley's Pub - though he
wasn't old enough
to drink.
Armed with an Indiana University business degree, tired of the
Pittsburgh
winters and starving for "money and women," Cuban
headed to Dallas
in 1982.
Fired from his
first computer job because he wouldn't vacuum the carpet,
Cuban started his first company in '83 - MicroSolutions -
before he bought
his first personal computer.
Teaching himself
Lotus 1-2-3
programs well enough to integrate his
clients' software programs, Cuban sold the company to
CompuServe in '90 for
$5 million. Five years later, with an assist from college
buddy Todd Wagner,
Cuban launched an idea that would earn him as much money in
four years as
Bill Gates made in a decade. And he did with a simple, yet
seemingly
preposterous premise: convincing customers to use their
$4,000 computers as
$6 radios to listen to radio broadcasts over the Internet.
In the business
world, those who doubted Cuban's acumen long ago logged
onto Broadcast.com and downloaded a disk full of crow.
"A lot of people told us we were
idiots," said Wagner, co-founder of
Broadcast.com. "But the only hard part was coming up
with the idea. Working
together was easy."
Five years later,
executing an Internet search for Cuban is like looking
up God in the index of The Bible. It might not be a direct
connection, but
his fingerprints are everywhere.
(continued from page 3)
Cuban is hesitant
to pinpoint his net worth, but suffice to say he has
enough cash and clout to tell Regis Philbin to stick a sock
in it.
"I've already
got more money than I can ever spend," Cuban said. "Making
money is no longer a huge motivation for me. Getting a
successful return on
my spending is."
Cuban paid $280
million for the Mavericks with a one-time wire transfer.
Already a multi-millionaire, sale of Broadcast.com last year
netted him six
million shares of Yahoo! stock. As of Friday, that deal
alone left him with
$2.1 billion in assets.
"Believe me, I
know it's obscene," said Cuban, who recently sent his
parents on a vacation to Antarctica .
"I could've never predicted the
Internet would explode like this and leave me with this kind
of money. But
it did happen, and, since it did, I'm going to enjoy it. But
it won't change
me. I was just as happy living six guys in a three-bedroom
apartment, going
to clubs with $20 in my pocket and pouring cheap champagne
down girls'
throats."
Those who know him
best say the wealth hasn't ballooned Cuban's ego.
Several fans in the Mavs Club, in fact, were shocked to find
out last week
that the zealous fan spouting detailed player analysis was
Cuban himself.
"He doesn't
wear his wealth on his sleeve," Wagner said. "That's because
it wasn't an inheritance; we earned it as the long
fulfillment of a dream."
Added longtime
friend Danny Bollinger: "I knew Mark four years before I
ever knew he had a nickel. He may be rich, but at heart he's
still a
basketball freak and a computer geek."
His healthy bank
account attracts 20 to 30 business propositions in his
e-mail every day, from guys needing money to sell pizzas
online, to an offer
to sell him an island in the Mediterranean
next to one owned by Magic
Johnson, to outright pleas for unconditional financial help.
"It tears at
me, sure," Cuban said. "But it's not like I can sit around
all day sending checks out to the whole world."
(continued from page 4)
The new Mavs owner
is the most fascinating Cuban since Elian Gonzalez,
the most intoxicating since hand-rolled cigars, and the most
colorful since
Fidel Castro.
"One day he
gathered the staff together at AudioNet [renamed
Broadcast.com in 1997], looked us in the eye and told us all
we'd be
millionaires if we did exactly what he said," said
Wally Lynn, former radio
talk-show host and one of Cuban's first hires. "Boom.
It was like the whole
room was hypnotized."
You won't find
Cuban wearing a suit ("I am what I am"), playing golf ("I
don't have the time or the patience") or visiting the
post office ("I don't
remember the last time I licked a stamp or sent a
fax"). You might, however,
see him behind the wheel of his '96 Lexus SUV, taking off in
his 14-seat
jet, in an upcoming episode of Walker , Texas
Ranger, at Dallas '
Del Frisco's
steakhouse in front of a pile of onion rings, or at, of all
places,
7-Eleven, grabbing his favorite lunch: a tuna sandwich, a
MET-Rx protein bar
and bottled water.
"He's always
on the go," friend and Broadcast.com employee Jeff Swann
said. "You could get up at 2:30 in the morning and e-mail him with a
great
idea. By the time you go to the bathroom and head back to
bed he's already
responded saying he had that idea yesterday."
Cuban, who recently
received an inquiry from Michael Keaton seeking
Internet advice and good seats to a Mavericks game, checks
his e-mail at
least 10 times a day. He refuses to carry a wallet
(wadded-up $100 bills
literally fall out of his pockets) and professes a love for
beer though the
previous two Mavs owners - Don Carter and Ross Perot Jr. -
probably didn't
empty a bottle between them.
"[Carter and
Perot] may not have been big drinkers or partiers," said
Cuban, who buys approximately $2,500 worth of drinks for
fans in the Mavs
Club after each home game. "But I'm going to make up
for them both."
(continued from page 5)
Jordan
once flipping Cuban the bird.
Jordan .
"I may not be the Jordan
of the Internet, but I'm at least on the
The Mavericks
never have boasted an owner with the charisma to attract a
star like Scottie Pippen, much less turn him down. Cuban
already has done
both. Days after rebuking Mavericks guard Michael Finley as
a potential
All-Star, the Portland Trail Blazers forward showed up
uninvited to tour
Cuban's mansion and hobnob with the newest member of the
Billionaire Boys
Club.
"That's as
far as he got," Cuban said, pointing toward the gates and
chuckling. "I wasn't here, but when they called asked
if he could be let in
I said, 'No way.' What kind of message would that send to my
players?"
Later that week, on
his first road trip with the Mavs, Cuban found
himself in Washington
for Michael Jordan's first game as Wizards boss.
During Dallas '
blowout victory, the two exchanged playful trash talk with
"I thought I
might be intimidated, but in the end he was just another
guy wanting Internet advice," Cuban said in a rare
public humbling of
All-Star team. I told him he made some terrible moves - like
jordan.com -
and he took notes."
Cuban, who seems
to be in on a joke none of the rest of us get, didn't
flinch when he fired public-address announcer Kevin McCarthy
or hired
renegade free agent Dennis Rodman. Asked if Ted Turner
served as a role
model, he calmly labeled the media mogul a "target to
shoot for," and
referred to billionaire Donald Trump as "a major
jerk."
"I got
invited to his house, and I wound up sorry I went," Cuban said.
"I respect him as a businessman, but I want to be
nothing like him as a
person." Cuban said he admires Cowboys owner Jerry
Jones, but also isn't
afraid to go after him. "The Cowboys may be America 's Team,
but we'll be the
Internet's Team," he said. "And that means we'll
be the World's Team,
because the Internet is all about connecting the
world."
(continued from page 6)
Cuban's skills may
be better-suited for "He Got Money" than "He Got
Game," but the man who loves basketball can also play a
little. About an
hour into a two-hour interview on his sun-drenched court,
Cuban hit 14
consecutive 3-pointers.
Not bad for a guy
who takes medicine for arthritis, can only spread his
legs about hip-width because of college rugby injuries, and
whom one peer
described as having a game similar to 7-foot slug Jon
Koncak.
"I was never
flashy or spectacular," Cuban said, "but I could hold my
own."
If there was any
doubt Cuban is a goal-oriented hoops junkie, it was
erased when one of his shots wedged between the rim and
backboard. After two
unsuccessful attempts in his black jeans and clumsy Doc
Marten shoes, he ran
and jumped and flicked the ball free, sending him into the
leaping ecstasy
of a man who had just slammed a million-dollar deal.
"You didn't
think I could do it, didja?!" Cuban yelled before crumbling
to the ground in laughter.
Actually, yes we
did. Mark Cuban is finished shooting hoops and talking
life. As he strides back to his mansion, he nonchalantly
flings the
basketball high atop his expensive Spanish tile roof. As the
ball takes one
big bounce earthward, he snares it in stride like a giddy
little-leaguer
catching his first pop fly.
After all, Cuban
has the dollars to buy happiness.
And the sense to
know he doesn't need to.



No comments:
Post a Comment